First United Methodist Church of Clermont asked me to be a part of their preschool children's "Heroes Program" as an adopted hero.
"Each class is going to adopt a hero (policeman, fireman, military personnel, missionary etc) for the entire school year. Throughout the year they will send their hero a note of encouragement, craft project etc. to help share the love of Jesus and show their gratitude to you. Our goal is for the students to learn what it means to be a disciple, to share the love and Word of God, what it means to be a real hero, and the importance of gratitude."
I feel so honored to be asked to be a part of this program and share what it means to be a missionary and a warrior for Christ. This is such a neat opportunity and I am excited that missionaries are thought of in this way.
This invitation really got me thinking about what being a hero actually means. I looked up the definition and this is what I got:
he·ro
noun
- 1.a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
- 2.another term for submarine sandwich.
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Matthew 5:5-9
When a person is acting as a hero, they are doing what God called them to do and has allowed them the opportunity to achieve because of Him.
I realize that just as in Philippians, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. God gives me my courage, my achievements are for His glory, and any noble qualities I possess are not of my doing. I am human and a broken person that has answered the call to follow Christ to which I have been given the title, hero.
What I know is that Jesus Christ is my hero. He is the only one who has never made a mistake, lived a sinless life, lived without fear, never possessed selfish anger, was not prideful, could not be outsmarted, loved everyone, both God and man, and He died for my sins. THAT is what a true hero is and does.

No comments:
Post a Comment